CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

See!! There are cool things about growing up in Price, Utah!!

I grew up in Price Utah, a town of less than 10,000. That's not super tiny by any means, but it's small enough to require the use of an imagination when looking for things to do. And if you know where to look, you'll almost never be bored! Nate has never seen the appeal of Price Utah (home of the Carbon Dinos...WOOTWOOT...one of two schools in the nation to use that particular mascot! No comments about Barney, please...as far as I'm concerned, it's the mean looking T-Rex!), but when we went down for Mothers' Day weekend, he saw a different side of my hometown. Price is the county seat of Carbon county. Yes, CARBON county. Coal country. There were a lot of coal camp towns set up around mines back around the turn of the 20th century, and once those mines closed, a lot of ghost towns were left behind. Sometimes, these ghost towns have buildings intact, sometimes there are only foundations left. On Saturday (May 9th) Nate and I went with my parents and sister to one of these places. We took a picnic and set off to find a cool ghost town. We ended up at an abandoned mine in Mohrland. It was pretty cool. No, we did not go into the mine for two very important reasons:

1. The mine portal was blocked completely with dirt and rocks, probably pretty far back, so tunneling was out of the question.

2. It would be incredibly stupid to do it. There is no dark like coal mine dark...and that's only one of the plethora of risks!
Anyway, I digress...back to the subject at hand...Mohrland. It was really cool to see the old equipment, and buildings. Here are some pics from our day of exploring!

Here is the portal. The hill of dirt is where the opening to the mine is. As you can see by the weeds growing comfortably in this dirt, it's been blocked for quite some time!!


Here is Kristi in the window of what we think was the mine office building.


Here is the entire "mine office building".

We found a cute, Kristi-sized door in the "fan building" (it was where the giant ventilation fan for the mine was...it scared me a little...long story, but suffice it to say I don't like giant fans!)!!


It was not a Nate-sized door!


Some gigantic mine boots left one of the machines.

And I'll end with my favorite picture. Yes, that is my mom...and dad...and she is, indeed, aiming a gun! She'll shoot...just so long as my dad will plug her ears! Her toughness only goes so far!!

So, after seeing all this, how can you NOT want to visit Price?! Just remember to pack your sense of adventure!!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm happy that reason number 1 is that the mine was blocked. Safety takes a back seat to impossibility. Thanks for going. It was a lot of fun.

Stacey said...

Fun! I love old ghost towns, during the day...at night, too scary! Price is the coolest!

Rebekah Coles said...

Hey...I am so happy to see another post. I love the pic of your mom shooting. HILARIOUS!! Give yourself and Nate a kiss from us- we hope you are well!XO

Nat said...

You forget that Carbon County was priveledged to have been used in 80% of the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!" Yep, it was just ugly enough to look like the barren old west.

Kaela said...

Hey, I finally found you! now you can add our blog to your list :) I'll post again someday assuming I can figure out how to work this dumb thing!!!