OK, so my birthday was last month...and I turned the big 3-0...yep, peeps, I'm thirty. No need to rub it in. The good news is that I still feel like I'm twenty...ish. Aaaaand I think that I'll probably feel that way for a long time, because let's face it, I'm a kid at heart! My sweet Nate took me on a birthday date that included bowling (I wanted to), dinner and a movie. It was a great birthday! THEN, a few days later, my parents and sister came down for a visit! I celebrated my birthday for a week...HappyHappyHappy!!! So, as I begin this new decade, I will impart wisdom that I have gained from the last two...OK, maybe not wisdom, exactly, but at least some stuff that I've learned. The list of thirty begins...now:
1. Treating everyone fairly does not necessarily mean treating everyone the same (which was the mantra I had to repeat growing up, as I had four older siblings...and thought I should be able to do everything they were allowed to!)
2. Don't put your cousin in a suitcase to give her a ride...even if you did like it when your brothers did it to you.
3. Procrastination is almost never beneficial (still learning this one!)
4. Don't eat unpopped popcorn kernels, even if you do love them, because they chip your front teeth somethin' awful!
5. Being the four-eyed nerd in elementary and middle school did impact my outlook on life, and how I treat others but it was in no way an indicator of how my life would turn out (thank goodness!!).
6. Family and friends can pull you through anything....love is great medicine.
7. It feels really good to be there when someone needs you in any way.
8. Hair will always grow back, which is why I only cried about it one time...when I had a bad home dye-job fixed "professionally"...only to have it turn green with the texture of hay.
9. The best warm, fuzzy socks in the world belong to my dad, and I borrow them when I can (and may have stolen them on occasion).
10. The best warm sweatshirts in the world belong to my husband, and much to his dismay, I borrow those too.
11. Patience is a lesson that I will continue to learn in various ways.
12. I've been told that I was an answer to my Dad's prayer for patience....and that dear man earned every one of his gray hairs, believe me!!
13. I love to surprise my loved ones, which is why Nate and I had our first Christmas gift exchange a week or two early...I got him a beautiful shotgun and could NOT wait to see his face!!
14. Sharing a room with my sister was one of the most fun things about growing up. She is really great and easy to talk to!
15. I love each one of my big brothers, the way that only a little sister can...with absolute and complete adoration. They are three of the best men I will ever know.
16. My sweetheart was worth waiting for, I just had to wait for him to drop into my life that day in Mi Ranchito and impress me completely with his Southern manners and beautiful green eyeballs.
17. Life never goes according to plan, which is why I've never been a big planner. If you want to make the Lord laugh, tell him your plans!
18. I am blessed with amazing in-laws....every single one.
19. Some of the hardest trials I have had have led to some of the deepest lessons taught by the Lord.
20. I may never know in this life the purpose of all my trials, but I don't need to. All I need to know is that the Lord is good and kind and merciful.
20. The older I get, the more I notice that the world is full of young punks...and that I was probably one of said punks at one time.
21. I will always love loud music...for which I blame my Uncle Tim.
22. I am very lucky to have grown up close to my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and many cousins. Those relationships will always be precious.
23. Forgiveness will always help you feel better about being hurt or offended, whether or not an apology is offered.
24. You are never too old or have too much authority to apologize. My parents taught this lesson with the "Lie Pie", which I have always appreciated.
25. Singing is therapeutic.
26. So is a good belly laugh.
27. I am so blessed to have married a man who makes me laugh and smile just about every day.
28. There are good people everywhere, and you meet potential friends every day. Keep your eyes open for that.
29. Don't discount the benefit of a good nap!
30. Even though I don't always get what I WANT, I have never lacked the things I NEED...complaining just takes my focus off of the many blessings that I have, and keeps me from being grateful for those things.
These are my personal life-lessons. There are so many things that I've learned, and so many things I have yet to learn. I am definitely a work-in-progress, but Lord willing, I'll get to keep right on learning!
My love to all!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Aw - you're all grown up! I loved this post and am pretty sure you are a better, more loving person than I am. I want to be like you when I grow up. Love you! And glad I was able to visit around your birthday.
i can hear your sweet voice say every single word that you've written and i LOVE IT! love you.
It looks as though da babby has absorbed some of life's lessons well. As I told you many times most everyone goes through stupid to get to smooth. SMOOTH SAILING!!
What wonderful lessons you have learned, and I have learned so many of them as well. You are our absolutely most wonderful babbbe.
Post a Comment