CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thoughts on Bacon


I have never been a huge fan of bacon. Aside from the occasional BLT, I really don't ELECT to eat it. Two words: texture issues. The fatty part makes me shudder...a lot. BLTs aren't bad, largely because the texture is masked by the bread, tomato, and lettuce so it's easier to swallow...literally! Anyhow, with that introduction, it is sufficient to say that I don't COOK bacon all that much, Nate usually cooks it because he's the one that will eat it (bless him!!). Tonight, however, I had a hankerin' for a BLT so for dinner, that's what we had. Nate was at basketball, so it was left to me to fry up a whole mess of bacon (yes, I did just say that because I did, indeed, marry a Texan!). I have come to the conclusion that bacon is perhaps the most terrifying thing to cook...period. There's the threat of a grease fire, the grease pops and burns, the floor by the stove gets slick because of said popping grease, so there is a risk of slipping and breaking something that I'd rather keep intact. And if the grease wasn't enough of a problem, there's always the LOVELY cloud that looms all over the house until you open every window, door, and turn on every fan you can get your hands on! And once the bacon is done, you need to dispose of the grease that you have had popping on your arms and leaving second degree burns...yes, you need to pour the big pan full of hot, bubbling grease into a little tiny soup can. Hello, Auntie Anxiety!! So, after the ordeal, I have a plate full of EXTRA crispy bacon (sorry, honey!!), and a good BLT...and yes, the BLT was worth it...food always is!!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

I really just want to know what you were wearing when you fried that bacon? Was it the robe Aunt Kathy gave you or something a little more scandalous. Cause I'd really like to see you fry bacon in one of those.

Nate + Callie said...

Nothing says sexy like getting second degree burns in your cleavage...and as much as I'd like to be sexy like that, I'd rather not burn my boobs!

Nat said...

I am no bacon fan either. But the fact that most men enjoy a good slab of wrinkly fat (with some good qualities) but that can burn you in the end, had always made me more confident when I was dating. OH yeah, you like this bacon, baby!

Mel Bernard said...

Callie you are so funny...loved your story and I want to try that mosaic thing!!! I am so happy to see you have a blog... now I will be catching up on you all the time.

Mark and Mary said...

Wow Callie, those are some deep thoughts on bacon. Speaking of "deep thoughts," Last night I was lying in bed looking up at the stars when I thought to myself, "Where the heck is my roof?"

Stacey said...

Callie your blog is so cute! I'll give you a call today and we'll set up an appointment :)